When chatbot is useful and when not
Venture Beat journalists have surveyed readers who are pretty aware of innovations, offering them to select an application, website or chatbot for solving various tasks. The results appeared to be quite interesting:
- 60 % preferred an application;
- 23% – a website;
- 17% – a chatbot.
Despite the fact that only the sixth of the audience has voted for chatbots, arguably, they are popular. Given that virtual assistants came into the active use just a year ago. And within this period, more than 50% of people aged 18-55 years have talked to a chatbot at least once, and 15% of them keep chatting with it regularly.
However, chatbot functionality is still limited. Thus, their using is sometimes inappropriate.
Chatbots are efficient in the following cases:
- for response to dozens of customers’ same-type questions;
- for automation of similar routine tasks;
- as a lead generator.
It is better to use a web resource or application instead if a chatbot when:
- there is a complex setting and filter system;
- one requires service monetization;
- there are a lot of scenarios that bots without advanced artificial intelligence will fail to manage.
In future, chatbots will likely become more functional, which means they will be able to replace completely applications and websites. Nevertheless, even today, they are quite helpful tools, allowing to optimize a lot of business processes.